Have students talk to parents, friends, or other family members. Try to pick 2-3 different people and ask/text/direct message someone in their network. They can record the answers to the following questions:
- Do you know what gerrymandering is?
- If yes, what is your understanding of it? Is it good, bad, etc.?
- If no, explain to them what you learned in class today.
- After discussing what gerrymandering is, ask them if they think it’s unfair.
- Is there a better way to draw these lines? Who might draw them? What might that process look like?